BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Disconnects (Part 1)

When Isaiah was about three, I learned that there were many things that as a boy I would just NOT get about him. For instance I had to learn how to play with him. I had just gotten him a new wooden train set for Christmas and I was helping him set it up. It took forever, but we did it. I set up the little village and the complicated bridge. I sat back and admired my work, truly satisfied. That's when he took his plastic airplane and crashed it right into the bridge, leaving half the set sprawled across the floor. I was flabbergasted. Why did he just destroy the nice, perfectly set up trainset. Boys, I thought, always gotta be tearing something up.

It was about a week later that I got my answer. From the radio of all places, a local personality (Frank Ski-V103) was talking about how boys play and mentioned that the purpose of doing things like crashing the trainset or building blocks is to set it back up again. I could only laugh. As a girl of course I wanted everything to be nice and neat and pretty. As a boy he just wanted to break it all down so he could build it up again. That's just one of many examples of the gender disconnects Isaiah and I have had over the years. As I struggle to understand him (through our time together or from the insight of the other men in his life), I wonder if in doing so I understand myself better and vice versa. Much of what I've learned about little boys having come from my son, then much of what he learns about women comes from me. Which makes me wonder, how much of how men learn to connect with women emotionally comes from their relationships with their mothers?

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

Most of how men connect to women comes from their relationship with their mother. That's why, I believe, it's so important for us to bond with them when they're younger. I grew up in a home full of girls, my step-dad being the only male, so when I had 2 boys..I was in for a big surprise. ;)

Nice post! I love the fact that you are learning from your son and see that he learns from you. You are blessed!

Have a Wonderful Day!

CG said...

My son is a mass destructor too and he is not even two! Congratulations on joining...re-joining the blog world! I am so excited about reading more!

Unknown said...

I know the trials of being a single parent, I have a 10 yr old son. I did finally meet the right guy and my son adores him. I'll keep checking in, I enjoyed reading. thanks

joanofalltrades said...

Welcome back to the blogosphere!

Purpleleaf said...

I experience that times 4! My daughter and four young boys live here with my husband and I. Their ages are 7, 5, 4, 3 (today is his birthday). Many times I have stopped them from wrestling on the floor, and they both get upset, because they were playing. Oh well, if a scratch or bruise becomes an issue to one of them, a "magic" kiss from Grandma instantly cures it and immediately stops the crying. So, they go back to wrestling. Gotta love it!
kathcouch on Twitter